CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 5, 2008

Day One

Today was the first day of my new healthy eating lifestyle change. Doesn't that sound awful? I can almost hear an entire auditorium of middle schoolers groaning for me. As much as I'm trying to be behind this and be positive and poop sunshine and rainbows over it, I'm feeling a little down about it. I've already decided that this isn't going to be a fad diet, an obsessed spiral into losing weight fast or a quick fix. I'm going to honestly try to lose weight the smart way, by limiting my junk food intake, eating more fruit and veg and drinking more water. (I know, this paragraph is ridiculously comma heavy, sorry,,,)

Today was a good day and a meh day. A good day because I ate really well, a meh day because I had no coffee at all and waited until dinner time to have a soda. I decided that I wasn't going to completely cut out coffee and soda because I feel deprived when I do and it makes me angry and I want to drink a case of soda and 12 pots of coffee out of spite. I'm not even going the diet soda route because it doesn't taste as good and I've read recent articles that link artificial sweeteners to helping the weight stick. Anyway, I was so tired today from lack of caffeine that I took a three hour nap, pretty much guaranteeing that I won't sleep well tonight.

So, food:

For breakfast I had a banana, a piece of toast and a slice of cheddar cheese. I'd contemplated not eating breakfast at all, but decided that if I was going to do this right, I'd better eat breakfast. It was a little odd for breakfast fare with the cheese thrown in, but it kept me going until lunch.

For lunch I had a bento consisting of homemade hummus with cucumber slices, onigiri with star shaped nori on top, stir fried carrots and broccoli left over from the night before and watermelon jello and strawberries.

For dinner I had a grilled pork chop, half a baked potato and a big cucumber salad with a wild cherry Pepsi.

Todays meals were way better than I normally eat. Most of the time I skip breakfast in lieu of copious amounts of sugar and creamer laden coffee. By lunch time I'm ravenous but push myself to wait until around 2pm, where I grab whatever is quick (although that's changed a bit since I started making bento for lunch) and by 6 or 7 at night I'm ready to eat the wood paneling off the walls and I stuff myself. Today I wasn't hungry between meals at all except for when I woke up late from my ridiculously long nap.

I found this great site called The Daily Plate that is really similar to FitDay, but a lot more community based. It's got a calorie calculator that helps well...calculate how many calories you should be eating based on your weight and activity level. I'm not ready to share my weight yet...it's too embarrassing and I don't even like admitting it to myself. But, I will say that at my weight and activity level, to lose three pounds a week it suggests I eat around 1,918 calories a day. That's totally do-able and I won't complain if I don't lose a full three pounds every week.

Today I only had 1,584 calories, but I may or may not hit up some fresh pineapple or a single cup of coffee a little later. I plan on starting some sort of exercise in the next week or so, depending on how motivated (or unmotivated) I feel after my caffeine restriction.

10 comments:

hamlette2002 said...

I really hope this helps you get to where you feel better, not just physically, but emotionally. If I can do anything to make it easier for you (like teach you how to make California Rolls, eh!) just let me know. I love you!

Christine said...

I would love for you to teach me how to make California rolls! I've never used one of those bamboo roll mats and I'm assuming you could roll them by hand, but I've never tried. I'm also not a huge fan of nori in large amounts because it gets tough and chewy the longer it has time to soak up any moisture so I'm wondering if I can find an alternative?

Anyway, thank you for being behind me on this. My biggest challenge of all is going to be sticking with it when I backslide.

jenn said...

I'm so excited for you!!! Making all these little changes will help so much. I actually had a little gain this week, but after the weekend I had I expected it.

I know you can do this! And I'm here to help keep you motivated.

Christine said...

Thanks Jenn! A good support group is important!

Donna said...

Good luck with this!! I Know you can do this!!!hughugs

Crystal said...

I jumped over from Jenns blog to pay you a visit. Girl, we're all here for you. To help you along while you lose the weight, to hear all your doing or not doing and to motivate you the best way we can. Between Jenn's weightloss blog, yours and I have one as well, we'll get EVERYONE that wants to come along where they need to be. Just remember something though. If you eat your breakfast, lunch and dinner, don't forget to have a little snack in between breakfast and lunch (a cheese snack or even almonds or some other nut) and then between lunch and dinner do the same thing. Eating 5 times a day versus 3 times a day gets you longer results. As far as the hunger pains are concerned. And don't eat after about 6-6:30pm. That last meal will sit in your system and not digest like it should and only add weight back to your body instead of if you eat earlier in the evening it's properly digested and even helping your system burn more. You probably know all this stuff so I won't go on. We have faith that you can do this. The first step is making the effort to try, followed up by determination to follow through with your goals. Have you set a goal? How much weight that you want to lose total? Do that and then take the total and divide it by a realistic number. Example: When I lost all my weight I lost 100 lbs. I divided that total number by 4. 25lbs at a time was my goal until I reached the big goal of 100. It's not as mentally stressful trying to loss 25lbs as it is 100. Your more able to get determined enough to loss the weight and not quit if you start out with a smaller number. You can even do what Jenn is doing and with each goal you meet pamper yourself. And don't worry, we all have BAD days when our will power sucks big time. Tomorrow is another new day. Just begin again then. We have faith in you! I'm adding you to my blog roll so I can help where I can and to cheer you on!!! Good luck;o)

Carrie said...

Welcome to the world of the weight loss journey..Let the hard work and determination pay off! I just hopped over from Jenn's blog, her and Crystal are in my support system and I don't know what I would do without them!
I also have a weight loss blog "AS I SEE IT"
Feel free to stop over for support and encouragement throughout your journey. I will add you to my blogroll.

Good Luck! You can do this :0)
carrie

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you, and I'm so glad to see so many other people behind you! I have a feeling that this is going to be great!

Missy said...

Hello Christine,
I'm Sabrina and I am the fat chic from thepaulinegoatranchers and I hopped over from Jenns blog! I understand your struggle, I too am trying to eat healthier! I freak most out by posting pics and my weight, but I don't push that on anyone. I am just here to share my story and be a cheerleader to those who need a bloggie high five! I believe you can do it because you have taken the time to accept that you want to change something about you ! You'll be fine, keep us posted!!!
Stop by and see me and mine sometime on our blog!
God bless,
Sabrina and Family!

Chaotic Crafter said...

Wow, thanks so much for all the support! I'm still getting used to blogger and I was floored when I saw all the comments lol!

I'm working on visiting everyone's blogs right now so I can set up a blogroll.