CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Normalcy

Paul's back at work and I'm...sitting here catching up on everything and planning the day. It was awesome having him home, glad he's back at work today though! I can't seem to get anything done when he's around. Not due to him being clingy (which used to be a very real problem) but because I really like spending time with him. Who'da thunk it?! I get to spend extra time with him next week too, because he's off for Memorial day. Hope another long weekend doesn't do me in like this one did! When my schedule changes, my good eating habits hit the road.

Now it's time for a confession. I'm a daily weigher. I've heard that it's not good for you mentally to see your weight fluctuate so much (because it does!) but I weigh first thing in the morning and leave the scale alone for the rest of the day. I can't help it! I'm down by almost two pounds since yesterday so I'm convinced that I was holding on to a lot of water weight. The temperature here has soared in the past week and when it gets really hot, I hold on to fluid. I don't sweat a lot at all; it just seems to stick to me. So, I'm not stressing the weight gain at all. It'll come off; it's all good.

I have been trying to figure out why it's so hard for me to stay in healthy mode when Paul's home. I think it's due largely to the fact that I don't see him for large chunks of the day and when he's home for the weekend he's not exhausted like during the week. Therefore, I like to do special things...cook big breakfasts, go out to dinner, have snacks while we watch movies or play video games. Unfortunately, all those goodies add up every weekend and it sabotages the hard work I've put in during the week. I seriously need to formulate a plan to help me with that. Fool proof snacks for at home, "safe" things to order from restaurants. I'll try to work on that this week.

Paul's birthday is on Saturday. I'm planning on getting him one of the black and red Nintendo DS's because it turns out that as much as he bitched about not liking hand-held games, he loves mine! His favorite colors are black and red so it's awesome that they've got one with both colors. I'm also looking in to getting him the two Transformer games for it because he's expressed interest. Don't know if I'll be able to find them though. He's not big in to sweets, so I can forgo a cake (thank goodness!) but I may take him to the Thai restaurant we haven't tried yet. Either way, I'm not going to stress a birthday meal...life's too damned short to miss out on a good birthday dinner every once in awhile!

I do have some semi-stressful stuff coming up soon. I'm hoping I can get through it without eating the world or killing somebody. June 6th my mother in law has to go to Las Vegas for either surgery prep or surgery (I haven't gotten all the details yet). She wants me to either go with her to help her drive or take care of her ward Jerry while her and my father in law are gone. I hate driving in Vegas, and I don't particularly like Jerry. BUT, I promised I'd do one or the other and I can't flake. I don't mind helping but everything is a drama with my in laws and I'm not really looking forward to it. Around the same time, my Aunt, Uncle and cousin are coming for a visit. I abhor my Aunt and don't really even want to visit. She's an uppity snob of a woman and I seriously believe that she must shit exotic flowers from the rain forest...nothing else would be good enough for her! My cousin is a sweetheart, and I can take or leave my Uncle...he stays quiet (probably to avoid my Aunts wrath) so I barely even know him! They're coming the week of my Dad's birthday, which is the same week my mother in law is going to Vegas...argg! I'm stressed that my Mom is going to get on her high and mighty horse (what better way to battle her sister but to play that she's better?!) and be pissed that I'm helping out my mother in law during that time. My mom isn't a fan of my mother in law (they've fought a LOT in the past 12 years) and every time I do something for my mother in law my mom takes it as a personal attack. Cross your fingers that I get out alive!

Ugh, anyway. Sorry for the long rant. My family is my biggest stress factor and I pretty much like to avoid even spending time with them. If I could hang with my step dad the entire time and help him work on the house or fix a friggin' car, I'd be thrilled, but chances are I'll be stuck shmoozing with the female side of my family. Blah.

Nothing really to do with dieting or losing weight, but it's certainly a big stresser for me!

Edited to remove some personal family details. I have some snoopy family members and the last thing I need is to deal with any backlash from someone reading something that might piss them off.

7 comments:

jenn said...

Nobody knows family stress better than me! I hope you find a way to deal with it all with a big ol' smile on your face! I've been practicing mine a LOT lately! LOL!

I have the same food issues with my hubby. As much as he supports my wanting to lose weight, he is continually putting me in situations where I cheat. I'm not blaming him, it's always my decision to eat the food, but it would be a lot easier if we didn't stop for fast food. We could have easily had subs or eaten at home. So yeah, I feel you there too.

Are you sure we're not sisters????

Christine said...

I swear Jenn lol....we MUST be long lost siblings!

Same boat with me and my hubby. He doesn't EVER force me to eat crap food, but it's a lot easier to do so when he's not following any sort of dieting plan and eats all these wonderful fatty things that I'm trying to avoid. It's so easy to say "I'll make up for it tomorrow".

Petula said...

Wow! Yes, I know about family stress. I hope everything works out with your MIL and everyone else just chills and focuses on what's important. Try to not let it get to you.

You know, I used to weigh daily too and it worked really well for me. If I event went up .5 then I was able to adjust what I ate that day to counteract it. Now, it seems like, weighing once a week is working against me. Hmmm?? Maybe we should conduct an experiment! :-)

Oh, maybe you can snack on raw carrots or something. Same action but way healthier (when the hubby is home).

Christine said...

Thanks Petula!

You're right. Focus on what's important and don't sweat the small stuff. My mother in law has been battling with workmans comp and severe back pain since 1995. Right now all I really care about is that she has the possibility of finally getting her back "fixed" to a point that she doesn't have to eat pain pills like candy and spend a good chunk of her life in bed. My Aunt won't be staying for more than a week (knock on wood!) and after she leaves things will go back to normal.

I know I need to stock up on healthy snacks and veggies are tops on my list. I can't really eat carrot sticks because of dental issues, but I can totally get in to some celery, cucumber and the like. Did you guys know that celery actually has negative calories because it's so low cal that when you chew it you burn more calories than what's in the celery? How awesome is that?!

jenn said...

I'M GOING TO GET ME SOME CELERY!!!!!

Donna said...

Leave it up to me to show up After the good stuff has been edited out!!LOL....And you need to follow Jenn's good example and Smile!!!(good Jenn)... It Does work....why else would the Seven Dwarfs have invented it?? They even whistled while they worked!!LOL...Personally? I'd watch the ward....being stuck in a car(in which I didn't want to be in the First place) sounds Awful...at least with the ward, You can choose what and where and when...Happy night sweetie...don't sweat the small stuff...hughugs
PS- Get ALL things Negative away from you...people...etc. It Really will make a difference in your life.

Carrie said...

I have dealt with all the family stress in my life and have washed my hands of it....and what a relief! Now my focus is on MY family and keeping us all happy, so far so good but it took many years. Good luck with everything
HUGS

Yay on the weight loss girl. I weigh in daily just to see what approach I will take for the day for exercise and eating...just to keep me on track.
Sounds like you are starting to figure out what can work for you. Hang in there girl, you will get there!